I have permission from the young man in question to use his name for this story but I think I’ll keep him anonymous, at least for now.
It was a very rainy, windy, chilly Sunday and Hubby, who hadn’t been feeling well for a couple of days, decided he needed to visit the Emergency Department at our local hospital because his symptoms weren’t getting any better. So off we go and I’m fully expecting to be spending several hours waiting. Surprisingly, that wasn’t the case and we were taken in to an examination room almost immediately.
A certain 15 year-old young man we know volunteers in the ER Department at this hospital and he happened to be volunteering this particular Sunday. I saw him before he saw us and watched the smile brighten his face when we walked in and then leave his face when he realized we were there for a reason. He followed us into the exam room and Hubby assured the staff it was alright. He watched as Hubby was put through the process of evaluation, EKG, blood draws, needles inserted, concern about Hubby evident. I assured him it would be fine.
I asked him about his day and he said it had been kind of boring but he shared a few things that he had done, rather pleased that he now knew his way around and specifically where the lab was so he could take samples there as needed. He then left us to take Hubby’s blood samples to said lab.
When he returned to the ER Department he came back to Hubby’s room. I asked him more questions about his volunteer duties and he was happy to tell us all about his responsibilities. Some of his other duties included changing bedding and wiping the beds down then replacing linens, including pillow cases, giving us a demonstration of his abilities as he explained.
Putting a pillow in a pillow case is simple right? Well not if the pillow has a tendency to stick so I showed him how I was taught when I went to Learn Practically Nothing School many years ago. He liked what I showed him saying it was much easier than his method. Hubby called it the hand sock method.
Food is something that is always a topic of interest to a teenage male so of course he had to tell us what he had for lunch. That day it was meatloaf from the hospital cafeteria. We had it on good authority that the meatloaf was really good but not the gravy.
He was standing there, happily chatting away when suddenly Hubby asked what that awful smell was. Our young visitor started laughing and that was the only clue we needed.
“You didn’t, did you” Hubby asked him and our young visitor just laughed harder as he started moving towards the door to exit the room.
“No, don’t move, hold still, don’t move” Hubby told him but he kept moving towards the door which meant the invisible, noxious, anal odor followed in a trail behind him, permeating further into the room. IT WAS BAD. I think that walk to the lab stirred something up.
“I hope that meatloaf tasted better than it smells” I said which only kept him laughing harder.
“I can’t believe you dropped a SBD” I told him and by the look on his face I knew he had no idea what I meant.
“Silent but deadly” I explained and by this time we are all laughing. I will admit it took my mind off the reason for our visit to the ER and helped eased the tension I was feeling. I wouldn’t recommend this as a regular means of easing tensions in the ER though.
At this point his….a nurse entered Hubby’s room from the door on the other side of the room, coming in behind our young Volunteer and walking right smack dab into the odor.
“Oh (name omitted) no, you didn’t” she says and also immediately starts laughing. I actually think she recognized the scent as soon as it hit her in the face. I mean, I saw her wave her hand in front of her face as she backed out of the room the way she entered, obviously not wanting to stir the air any further and spread the toxic waste out into the hallway. It would have decimated everyone at the Nurses’ Station and we needed them to help Hubby.
She returned in a flash with a can of scented air spray, finger on the nozzle as she re-entered the room, waiving the can all around and quickly clearing the room of all foul lingering emissions. All of us were able to breathe easier. It worked and luckily before anyone else entered the room saving them from the remains of hospital cafeteria meatloaf. She was a hero and no one at the Nurses’ Station would ever know it.
“Stay away from that meatloaf” I told our young Volunteer as he and his…..the nurse left us, still laughing I might add.
“That was definitely a (family name) ass” I told Hubby. “Yeah” he answered, wiping tears from his eyes.
I’m not sure if they were tears of grandfatherly pride or his eyes were still stinging from the fumes.
Hubby recovered from that episode, suffering no long-lasting effects from his exposure to recycled hospital cafeteria meatloaf. Hubby’s other issue was dealt with and he was able to return home for recovery.
I believe someone should warn the hospital staff about that meatloaf so they’re aware how potentially dangerous it can be to their noses.
I decided to protect the identity of the young man in this story and I did a fine job of it if I do say so myself. This is social media after all and everyone reads everything here. And I believe his school is safe as long as meatloaf isn’t on the menu.
All rights reserved. I hope you enjoyed my story but please remember it’s my story so no using or copying any content in any manner without the express written permission of the owner….me.